#1 thyrdeye

thyrdeye

Advanced Member

• Samplitude Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hi
I am having problems with my vadnal setup. It becomes active when I have the speaker icon on the track enabled. I hear the guitar coming through vandal. But when I record the track all I get is the regular guitar track. When I open vandal on that track and then freeze the unaffected guitar take then the "frozen" track is recorded with the Vandal amp sounds. But this doesn't seem correct. I've tried different monitoring settings and this seems to be the only way I can get it to work. I think "track FX monitor settings" is the one I use. Can someone please help me sort this out.

Thanks!

#2 matfle

matfle

• Advanced User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

That´s the way it´s supposed to be. The dry guitar is recorded, Vandal comes afterwards, during monitoring or playback. This allows for changes in the Vandal-settings after having recorded your guitar track. Using a software amp is a bit different to setting up an amp or preamp and recording the "finished" sound through your interface. Same thing with every software amp and DAW.

Order while Real Amp Recording:
1. Guitar
2. Amp
3. Mic or DI
4. Interface Input
5. Recorded Track

Order while Software Amp Recording:
1. Guitar
2. Mic or DI
3. Interface Input
4. Recorded Track
5. Amp

When I open vandal on that track and then freeze the unaffected guitar take then the "frozen" track is recorded with the Vandal amp sounds

This is normal. The Freeze function will calculate any effct (also Vandal) into the resulting Freeze file and "switch off" all effects being used on that track in order to free ressources.

Regards,
Matthias

#3 thyrdeye

thyrdeye

Advanced Member

• Samplitude Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

That´s the way it´s supposed to be. The dry guitar is recorded, Vandal comes afterwards, during monitoring or playback. This allows for changes in the Vandal-settings after having recorded your guitar track. Using a software amp is a bit different to setting up an amp or preamp and recording the "finished" sound through your interface. Same thing with every software amp and DAW.

Order while Real Amp Recording:
1. Guitar
2. Amp
3. Mic or DI
4. Interface Input
5. Recorded Track

Order while Software Amp Recording:
1. Guitar
2. Mic or DI
3. Interface Input
4. Recorded Track
5. Amp

When I open vandal on that track and then freeze the unaffected guitar take then the "frozen" track is recorded with the Vandal amp sounds

This is normal. The Freeze function will calculate any effct (also Vandal) into the resulting Freeze file and "switch off" all effects being used on that track in order to free ressources.

Regards,
Matthias

Thanks for the helpful advice.....a few questions...is a freezed track as good as a bounced wave file. Does it always freeze in stereo because I am doubling tracks and I think it might be better to have mono tracks to work with. You have set my mind at ease as I recorded a mountain of tracks and I'm glad I can still use them.

#4 Sascha

Sascha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Freezing a track results in a 32bit float file, which means it can't get any better in terms of quality. So you don't lose anything. If you wish to make edits later on, like cutting/editing objects or making adjustments on the plugin, just unfreeze the track and you get the previous state back.

The frozen file is stereo by default. But there is a 'keep mono' option in the system preferences (->resampling/bouncing). This will result in a mono file when the source file was also mono before, although it wouldn't make much sense if the plugin outputs stereo information like, for instance, free panning, stereo chorus or reverb.
Sascha Eversmeier
u-he (present) | samplitude plugins (past) | digitalfishphones (past past)

#5 Silent Sky

Silent Sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Same thing with every software amp and DAW.

Not anymore. Apparently the new Universal Audio Apollo interface/UAD Card lets you track with plugins! I've got a friend who bought one, and he's loving it.
Jon
Silent Sky Studios
http://silentsky.net

Samplitude 11 Pro/Pro X
Dell Optiplex 380 PC w/ 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E7500, 4 GB RAM, 320GB OS, 640GB Data
RME Multiface

#6 matfle

matfle

• Advanced User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Not anymore. Apparently the new Universal Audio Apollo interface/UAD Card lets you track with plugins! I've got a friend who bought one, and he's loving it.

Yes, but only with UAD plugins, and the Apollo is not a DAW. If routed correctly the plugins can be used like a preamp or any other processor, amp or whatever at the front-end. But only if they´re UAD. Unless Vandal becomes a part of UAD it still won´t be possible - unless there will be other solutions from Sascha´s side in future.

Regards,
Matthias

#7 Faustin Linyekula

Faustin Linyekula

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

Yes, but only with UAD plugins, and the Apollo is not a DAW. If routed correctly the plugins can be used like a preamp or any other processor, amp or whatever at the front-end. But only if they´re UAD. Unless Vandal becomes a part of UAD it still won´t be possible - unless there will be other solutions from Sascha´s side in future.

Regards,
Matthias

Hello, first time contributing on this forum, even though I'd been very actively educating myself around here for 2 years now (thank you very much to all regular contributors!)

As far as I know, Reaper is the only DAW that lets you record your monitoring output signal. So if you want to commit to whatever plugin you'd been monitoring through you can. I always record a dry duplicate though, just to have an option.

Good day wherever you may be,
Faustin.

#8 sprucewood

sprucewood

Professional Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

Regards,
Matthias

Hello, first time contributing on this forum, even though I'd been very actively educating myself around here for 2 years now (thank you very much to all regular contributors!)

As far as I know, Reaper is the only DAW that lets you record your monitoring output signal. So if you want to commit to whatever plugin you'd been monitoring through you can. I always record a dry duplicate though, just to have an option.

Good day wherever you may be,
Faustin.

deleted

#9 Queller

Queller

Advanced Member

• Samplitude Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

Old thread, just stumbled over it...but

If you are familiar with Jack Audio server (and have some patience) it's perfectly possible to print any plugin directly.

Setting up Jack for Windows can be very fiddly. You need to setup Jackrouter to run your ASIO-drivers and set the right buffer setting.

If you own Mixbus it is somewhat easier, but you still need to install the Jack Audio Connection Kit wich comes with the Jack_for_win installer.:

Just start the Jack Audioengine in the Mixbus startup window (you don't have to open any Mixbus session)

Open ProX, press Y, select JackRouter as sound driver

Then open the Jack Audio Connection Kit and use its patchbay, anything can goto everywhere..

In this example I use out1/2 as ProX main out, then I set up a Vandal track as a "virtual guitar amp": capture1(my guitar)->Output3/4, monitor ON. This track is just for monitoring, no recording here..

Then I record on another track (just set record input to 3/4 and output to 1/2) 

Jack%20audio%20server.JPG

Works like a charm!!

Now I can setup fixed tracks for amps/instruments and record what I hear. Nu postphoned decisions, no headache, just quick as h...

The reamping workflow may be useful for some, but I suspect that many guitarists share my view on this

/Björn